Tuesday, May 18, 2010

From Ballard to Real Life

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ballard Designs. THAT said, there is no way I can afford their stuff. Maybe someday. On clearance. With a coupon. And a gift certificate. But when I was browsing their new stuff online, I realized I had seen (and owned) some similar items that did not have the Ballard tag.

This ship's wheel is on the Ballard catalog for $99.

Michael's carries an unfinished ship's wheel for $9.99, plus about $4 for some spray paint in your choice of color, and you can have a similar nautical accent that won't sink your budget. Get it? Sink your budget, like sinking a ship . . . never mind.

These gorgeous pictures are sold on the Ballard site for $169. Each. That is definitely way too rich for my blood, considering that lovely botanical prints like these:
can be had from a calendar for about 1/10th the price. Places like Walmart, Target, etc. sell sets of matching frames that can get you the same look for much less.

A set of 3 apothecary jars from Ballard will set you back $49. Which is not a bad price at all, for Ballard.

However, I found this set:
at Ross for $12 a couple of weeks ago and I think they're just as lovely. I can whip up some antique-looking labels on the computer as well, and complete the Ballard look. For now, they hold candy none of us like so we won't be tempted.

What started this post, was in fact, this planter I spied on the Ballard website, for $119.
It has a fleur-de-lis detail, which is what called my eye, because . . .

My awesome husband showed up with this fleur de lis planter from Lowe's:
a couple of weeks ago. It now houses some of our strawberry plants, and it was around $16.99. We picked the strawberries yesterday because my parents were visiting, otherwise we'd have a nice picture with lush, red berries resting languorously on the fleur de lis motifs.

So do not despair if you see something on Ballard that you love, because you can find a similar item for less, or make your own, like I did with these Ballard-inspired alphabet ornaments last Christmas.

Happy Ballard-inspired hunting!

4 comments:

  1. You rock girl. I"m just going to find stuff, and tell you what I want, and watch you work your magic.. :)

    Added your blog to mine... because your cool. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds! I use the Ballards and Pottery Barn catalogs as my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There,
    I’m your newest follower! I am following from Tuesday Tag-Along.

    Those sure are some fantastic finds!

    Frugal Mom from
    Frugality Is Free and
    Print Your Coupons – All Your Coupons in One Place

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Ballard have some lovely things but they're a bit cheeky with their prices. Frankly, I'll be surprised if they sell many of those ship wheels, but you never know...

    ReplyDelete