Thursday, March 25, 2010

Frugality in everything

You know how they say that the first step in solving any problem is to acknowledge you have a problem?

Well, I recently did just that and it was the problem of the multiplying magazines.

I swear I've cut down on my subscriptions and find myself perusing the online websites for each magazine rather than purchase the odd issue here and there, but the truth is, my reading material was incredibly uncontainable.

So, during a trip to the Container Store a couple of months ago I saw this cute magazine file and decided it was going to be my BFF in my quest to minimize magazine messiness.


The moment our mail lady brings me a magazine, or I get home after having purchased one, I put the new magazine in the file. Once I read it a couple of three times, let the kids throw it around the living room like a frisbee, i.e. once the magazine has walked the gauntlet, I decide whether it's a keeper-for-now or not. If it IS, then it goes back to the magazine file. When the file is full, it's time to get serious and throw out what I don't want any more.

So far, the only magazine that has attained Permanent Status is the Real Simple issue with a month of easy dinners. For some reason I much prefer to have the magazine to printing out the recipes from the site, or even taking the pages and putting them in a binder, but if the time comes where my file is fill of Permanent issues, I will reevaluate.

Until then, my little file works and keeps me from accumulating too many ads, which, as we all know, are the bulk of any magazine ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment